This is my blog to document my travels over the next five months while I work on the Norwegian Cruise ship, the Pearl. We will be cruising Alaska, British Columbia and Seattle. The previous entries told of my trip three years ago around the Ionian and Aegean Seas, visiting Italy, Greece, and Turkey along the way! Stay tuned for lots of stories and pictures of my adventure!

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Day 4 -May 3 2010 - Training, Tech, more Training, and SHOWTIME!

Today was a very busy day, which was great because I finally have gotten on track with the time change! We're another hour ahead now that we're getting close to Greece, so that's 8 hours ahead of EST, 11 of PST. Crazy to think I'll aleady have had half of a day more than I would back home!

So today started off early with a Security training at 8:20 am... with an officer on a major power trip. Cussed out two people during the training for not paying attention and I thought he was going to pop a blood vessel in his forehead he was so angry. Whoa... I don't need all that energy in my world! I chose not to tell him that, though :) Anyway, when Dick Cheney was finished, we had more Safety training. Fast forward to the afternoon and we had more Safety training and an Environmental and Chemical training and then our Safety Exam, which I passed with flying colors! Thank goodness that's out of the way....but I do have a Drug Info class and First Aid/CPR Training starting next week  -they're sure thorough on their trainings here.

So after my morning session, we had notes/tech rehearsal for the night's show, "Colorz". It's basically a revue show of pop music in different color themes... the show starts of with a solo number about "What would the world be like without colors?" and then goes into the "Blue" segment, where they do really nicely choreographed routines and sing to "Blue Suede Shoes", "Blue Monday", and "Devil in a Blue Dress". They go through all the colors and end in Black and While costumes doing "That Old Black Magic". It's a really cute show and not nearly as cheesy as the concept originally sounded to me. :) The singers and dancers are an extremely talented bunch and very professional, but fun to work with! They've all been welcoming and sweet and helpful as I learn. Thank goodness that Scott, the current Wardrobe Supervisor is still around for me to shadow. This made the night's shows go very smoothly and I did all the changes for the second show myself, which was a lot of fun and relieving to finally get to do what I'm here to!

After tech rehearsal, Scott gave me an extensive tour of the dressing room, my workstations, costumes and reviewed duties at length. Basically, I am one of three dressers during the show and I supervise the others, I repair/alter any costumes (usually a handful after every show), maintain the few wigs and hairpieces that they use after every show, and wash one of the costumes sets in each show once a week. One of the penalties for a cast member being late is that they get towel duty -and this has happened so often that they've got a backlog of people on towel duty (bringing them down to the laundry dept. after every show) for a while, but otherwise, that would be part of my duties. Scott also advised me that dancers also have various gigs around the ship and will sometimes volunteer to do outside projects. They often request special costumes to be made for those engagements, since they cannot use the show costumes for anything outside the shows. This could be a way to make a few extra coins on the side.

I had lunch with a few of the cast, which was  nice to socialize a little bit with them. There are two Brits, one Russian, and the rest American - a Kansas girl, an Oklahoma girl, a couple from NY and Massachusetts... After lunch, I hit the gym again before my afternoon training.

After the show, I locked myself out of my room for the first time... ug. Not like it was in Tahoe, where I had about 6 keys going at any given moment because all you had to do was go to the front desk. This time, I had to track down my production mgr. (since there are no cell phones, you have to call rooms and hope they're there!) and she called security for me. I really hope that's the only time... ;)

Tomorrow we hit Athens, which was up in the air for a minute there due to the rioting that's going on associated with the bailout/economic collapse... interesting time to be a tourist there for sure! I know on one hand, the ship is bringing considerable business to the city on a weekly basis, so I feel good about that.

Night night!

2 comments:

  1. riots in Athens...FUN FUN!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im glad you're getting adjusted and staring to get into the swing of things. Have fun today and dont work too hard. Nikki says hey! Love you!

    ReplyDelete