This is my blog to document my travels over the next five months while I work on the Norwegian Cruise ship, the Pearl. We will be cruising Alaska, British Columbia and Seattle. The previous entries told of my trip three years ago around the Ionian and Aegean Seas, visiting Italy, Greece, and Turkey along the way! Stay tuned for lots of stories and pictures of my adventure!

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Day 19 – May 18, 2010 – Piraeus/Athens, H&M, and the best Greek food yet!


Today, Pieter and I were on a mission to find the H&M in Athens, Greece. I know it seems silly, but it’s just been too long that we’ve been apart, my favorite clothing store and I. :) Plus, once I got on the ship, I realized I needed a few extra items that I didn’t pack from home, so it was really a work trip, haha!
We walked through stinky Piraeus to the subway station and I was more optimistic about my second trip on it. I knew where I was going and had a map of the subway and of the station where H&M was closest to. It was a nice, humid and unairconditioned ride to Onomia station, which my travel book said was great for shopping, etc. The store was on Panepistimiou, which is like a main drag in Athens apparently, but it didn’t really look too much like one I’d be used to seeing in the states. H&M was pretty close by and we ended up spending at least an hour at the homeland. It was a really good H&M with a whole floor of Men’s and lots to choose from. I had to get some white pants and a white shirt for the weekly White Hot party on the ship, and I just felt like I should have the standard uniform for visiting Greek Islands. Plus, it’s cheaper to get it there than at some souvenir shop in Santorini!


After H&M, we headed to the Gazi district, which is marked by this old foundry that’s been converted into artist studios and exhibition spaces. It’s home to much of Athen’s gay and otherwise metrosexual nightlife and we thought we might find somewhere to eat there. Turns out it was a little harder to find and a bit longer of a trek to get there, but we eventually made it and went to the best rated restaurant in my travel guide, Mamacas. As it was siesta, we weren’t sure if they’d be open, but they were. Mamacas was reportedly a shining example of a neo-taverna, which basically takes a modern twist on the classic Greek cuisine. This sounded like a great idea!



We both ordered Greek Salads and this one put all the others I’ve had to shame! The tomatoes and cucumbers were divine, the feta pungent, and the best part was the topping of salty capers that just made the whole combination really work! The multigrain bread served with it was outstanding….so good that a pigeon came over and tried to eat it too. :) I also ordered two small dishes, the Lemon Potatoes and Grilled Feta and I was clearly in way over my head! First, there was just way too much food to even try to finish, but all had to be sufficiently sampled. The Lemon Potatoes were grilled in a very light, spicy lemon-mustard sauce that was to die for.
The Grilled Feta was brought out next - it was a 4” X 4” square of tin foil pinched together at the top and I was reminded of grilling over a campfire at summer camp. I was not prepared for what lie awaiting me inside the foil…. First, a thin bed of olive oil to cover the bottom of the foil, then the brick of feta, topped with thin tomato and banana pepper slices, more olive oil, and grilled to bubbling gooey perfection. It was worth the burn on my tongue to dig into this creation right away. It was quite possibly on my top 5 foods I’ve ever eaten list (which maybe now I should start?). The feta was so good cooked like that and didn’t taste a thing like it does cold. This is a must try at home!

After being completely stuffed, we got on the closest train, high-tailed it through Piraeus and had to wait forever for our shuttle back to the ship, making us a few minutes late to get back on the ship, eek! Crew has to be aboard 30 minutes before passengers and those extra 30 really make a big difference. All was well though and I had another great time in Athens. We also had a major boat drill today – this time we actually had to walk off the ship –all 1100 crewmembers! You could imagine that took us quite a while. So next time we’re in Athens, I’m going to try to leave the ship as soon as crew is cleared to get to the Acropolis! I want to have as full a day there as crewmemberly possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment