This is my blog to document my travels over the next five months while I work on the Norwegian Cruise ship, the Pearl. We will be cruising Alaska, British Columbia and Seattle. The previous entries told of my trip three years ago around the Ionian and Aegean Seas, visiting Italy, Greece, and Turkey along the way! Stay tuned for lots of stories and pictures of my adventure!

Saturday, June 26, 2010

Day 53 – June 21, 2010 – Corfu, reblock, Café del Arte, “Get Down Tonight”, Kevin’s bday


Today was an important moment for training of Mariya as one of our singers traveled home for a wedding for a couple days and we weren’t sure if she would be back for the show tonight. Because of this, our dance captain, Hannah, had to reblock the show without the singer, Heather, just in case she didn’t make all aboard time. This was crazy for everyone, but they did it professionally of course! Imagine trying to learn a brand new show and it also not being the same version as the one you’ll be working with on a weekly basis…. Not ideal, but we do what we must do!

I was doing laundry for the night’s show and took that early morning opportunity to be the first Birthday phone call Kevin received back in Hollyweird! It was only just after midnight there, and I hoped he’d be out celebrating at the stroke of year 38, and he was! We chatted for a good, much needed twenty minutes or so while the dance belts and fishnets were drying. It was so good to laugh, cry, and cut up together like we’ve been used to doing on a daily, if not hourly basis over the last 22 months of our friendship. We are so connected and it’s been such a strain being apart. Hopefully, we’ll get to celebrate our birthdays together in LA at San Luis Opisbo Pride on July 9th! I’ll be working there and am staying overnight, so I’m hoping he will be off from his new job at the Magic Castle and make it for some good times!

After the reblock and working with Hannah on alternate costume changes in the event that Heather misses a connection, I hit the gangway and led a pack of crew to Café del Arte, our favorite internetting and caféing locale in Corfu. By the time we arrived, rolling about 8 deep, Sortidia (the owner) was waiting for us with a huge smile. Pieter, Stephen and Stacy had already arrived and informed the husband and wife owners that we’d be following shortly. I had a chance to download a few discographies on Vuse (Rufus Wainwright, Jill Scott, Mika, and the Essential George Gershwin….. G-A-Y) and “Much Ado About Nothing”. I also booked my hotel for Milan – I’ll be staying at Hotel Duca directly across from the train station and only a mile from the start of the main sights I want to see while there (the Golden Rectangle where all the world’s top designers’ houses are headquartered and the Duomo Gothic Cathedral). With my Milan trip all set, I felt much better! 4 pm came way too early and it was time to head back to the ship. I bought a handmade candle from Sortidia to remember one of my favorite places I’ve been in ports over the last two months and wished her well as we left the quaint island of Corfu.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive